Terms and conditions (National Car)
COSTA RICA 2023
General conditions when renting a car in Costa Rica:
As of July 1, 2019, the rates below will be increased by 13% tax due to new tax legislation.
- Minimum age 21 years. A minimum age of 25 years is required to purchase additional insurance.
- An “under age fee” of $10 per day applies to drivers aged 21 to 25.
- In possession of a valid driver’s license and passport and be able to present these original documents at the time of delivery of the rental car. Copies of passport and/or driver’s license are not accepted as valid documents and no car will be rented on this basis.
- A credit card deposit (Mastercard, Visa or AMEX) must be paid upon delivery of the rental car. If taking the mandatory basic insurance, a US$500 deposit applies. If you purchase all-risk insurance, the deposit is US$100. This credit card must be in the name of the main driver of the car.
- Basic insurance is mandatory in Costa Rica.
Insurance rates per day:
|Suzuki Jimny (no longer available in offer)
|Daihatsu Bego (no longer available in offer)
|Vitara o Similar
|Gran Vitara Automático o Similar
|Toyota Fortuner Auto
|Toyota Prado Auto
*including basic insurance
LDW Coverage Collision and Theft
When you rent a vehicle from NATIONAL CAR RENTAL, you are responsible for returning it to the same condition in which you received it. This is a coverage that allows you to cover the vehicle, in case of theft, damage to the finish of the vehicle due to vandalism or collision. The insurance covers your own car with a deductible of US$800 (Gran Vitara o Similar) or US$1,500 (Gran Vitara Automático o Similar, Toyota Fortuner, Toyota Prado). In case of theft, the excess is US$2,000. This does not cover other damage to the vehicle caused by negligence in driving through sand, water, under the influence of alcohol, failure to produce legal documents or as stipulated in the rental contract.
SLC Third-party property damage coverage
This coverage discharges you from financial liability for third party property damage up to ¢10,000,000.00. Accidental death and damage to third parties resulting from a traffic accident with the rented vehicle up to ¢50,000,000.00 per person and ¢100,000,000.00 per occurrence, determined by a state court (Republic of Costa Rica), as long as the affected person is not the driver, an immediate family member or a person living in the same household of the driver. If you are involved in an accident with the rented vehicle and damage third party property or third parties, your sole liability is 20% or a minimum of $250.00. The SLC is optional as long as the LDW is not declined. If you do not take this coverage, you will be liable for the full amount of third party property damage.
Windows and tires
Covers damage to windows and tires, does not cover theft. In case of a damaged tire, the renter changes the tire himself, at one of National Car’s offices the damaged tire can be changed for a new spare or repaired.
Full insurance with no deductible
National Car Rental offers you the option to exclude your liability for the deductibles of the accepted coverages, as long as the damage does not result from the driver’s negligence in driving through sand, water, under the influence of alcohol or for the violation of any of the clauses in the rental contract.
Note: National Car Rental will evaluate the possibility of applying or waiving this insurance based on the amount and amount of damage to the rental vehicles.
Full cover / Maximum coverage
Covers all of the above mentioned coverages.
Insurance restrictions (limiting conditions).
The above insurances do not cover costs when there is:
- Liability in case of an accident under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
- Liability in case of use of the rental vehicle in violation of the terms of the rental contract.
- If you cannot provide the insurance company documents and the traffic report, a breathalyzer test will be required at least 3 hours after the accident.
- Liability in case of damage to property or persons caused by an insured or a relative of the insured living at the same address.
- Liability in case of operation by another driver not authorized in the rental contract.
- Damage caused by negligent driving through sand, water, under the influence of alcohol, failure to produce legal documents or other provisions in the rental contract.
The coverage does not apply:
If you fail to pay the rental fee.
If you or another authorized driver violates the terms of the rental agreement.
If you do not accept the coverages at the start of the rental.
The mentioned insurance policies do not cover assistance nor travel expenses when there are damaged tires, lost keys, dead batteries because the light was left on or replacement of the car in case of an accident, towing or rescue costs.
The no excess insurance (zero deductible) does not cover 20% of the damage caused to the property of third parties, if the customer causes a so-called “at-fault” accident. This is an accident caused by the customer driving the rental car. If the insurance company ultimately rules that the customer driving the rental car is 51% or more responsible for causing the accident, then he is formally “at fault. This would be the case, for example, if the driver did not drive responsibly and did not follow the traffic rules.
- The reservation of your rental car is under your name in National Car’s system . You will receive a (sub)-lease agreement for your car from National Car containing the services reserved for you. Please read this rental agreement carefully before signing it and keep a copy. Check the vehicle for any damage at the time of transfer and always have the damage(s) documented in writing so that you can return the rental vehicle without any problems. If the vehicle does not match the category you reserved or if you discover any defects or damage, you must report it immediately on site at the time of handover. If the car has technical defects during the rental period or is otherwise unable or unfit to drive, you must contact National Rent a Car immediately. Permission for any repairs, roadside assistance and/or replacement transportation must be given by National Rent a Car. You can also contact National Rent a Car’s emergency number 24/7 in these cases (506) 2242-7878.
- Take pictures of the car at the time you receive it. Also check that the emergency triangle and jack (in good condition) are included with the car and that the spare tire is present.
- Unlimited mileage (no extra charge)
- Two drivers may drive the rental car without additional payment (provided that one of the drivers is the owner of the credit card that serves as collateral for the insurance). A third person pays US$5 per day extra.
- It is possible to rent a GPS with the car (English, French or Spanish-speaking). Cost is US$5 per day (subject to availability and requested in advance). A security deposit of US$250 (arranged via credit card) is required by National Rent a Car for this. This will be destroyed at the time of returning the GPS without damage.
- It is possible to rent an extra luggage rack for on the car and it costs $6 per day, subject to availability though.
- Children under 12 must be in a child seat or booster seat. A first booster/seat can be rented free of charge, from a second booster/seat the cost is $6 per day.
- In case of lost car keys, National Rent a Car will bring a new car key. Cost US$100. Keys of Hyundai and Toyota cars have a chip and there will be a maximum charge of US$250 for a new key. If the distance is greater than 40 km from the National Rent a Car office in San Jose or Liberia, there will be an additional drop off charge (which is between US$20 and US$200 depending on the distance).
- Refueling arrangement: you return the car with the same fuel level as received, usually this is “full-full”. If you return the rental car with less fuel than agreed, in addition to the missing fuel, National Rent a Car will charge you a service fee for refueling. We recommend that you take a picture of the fuel gauge when you deliver the car. This will allow you to check if the tank was indeed 100% full the next time you refuel.
- It is not possible to cross the border into Panama or Nicaragua by rental car.
- Your reservation is subject to a particular vehicle category, not a particular model of car. If your category is not available, National Rent a Car may provide a car from an equivalent/higher category locally.
- Edventure Costa Rica S.A. is not liable for claims arising from the vehicle rental agreement. However, do report complaints to Edventure Costa Rica A. so we can try to find a solution on the spot. Edventure Costa Rica S.A. is not liable if the transfer of the booked rental vehicle does not materialize for reasons that concern the person of the renter or the rental company as e.g. not (able to) show a valid driver’s license or ignoring the credit card requirement for the deposit.
- By signing the rental agreement with National Rent a Car, you also accept the General Terms and Conditions of National Rent a Car. Your rights and obligations regarding the car are written down in the rental contract and the General Terms and Conditions. Please read these terms and conditions carefully!
The pick up
- Your travel confirmation will tell you what time and where the car will be delivered and what time and where the car should be returned.
- With the pick up of the car you will be asked to sign the following items, make sure everything you sign is clearly explained by National Rent a Car:
- The rental contract. The car rental and basic insurance have already been paid for by Edventure. Additional insurance can be purchased locally from National Rent a Car (in some cases the additional insurance is already included in the Edventure price. Check the papers you received from Edventure for this).
- A blank Major Damage Contract. This involves making a copy of your credit card and being asked to sign this form. This will be filled out in case of damage and the damage will be recovered from your credit card. In case there is no damage this form will be destroyed.
- Deposit voucher worth US$500 (if taking basic insurance) or USD$100 (if taking all-risk insurance). This will be torn up if the car is returned without damage.
- In the case of GPS rental, a voucher worth US$250, which will be torn up if the GPS is returned in good condition.
In case of damage / problems with the car:
- The first thing you should do is contact National Rent a Car. National Rent a Car’s emergency number is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in case of car problems or an accident: (506) 2242-7878 (24h a day). Explain the situation and ask what to do. Under no circumstances move the car in case of an accident or damage driven.
- In case the car is moved after the accident without the permission of the traffic police and National Rent a Car, the insurance policies will lapse and the customer is responsible for compensating the damage.
- In case of an accident: contact the traffic police: 2222-9330
- In case of injuries: contact the Red Cross: 1128
- In case of a crime: contact the OIJ: 2295-3305
- General emergency number Costa Rica: 911
The above information is subject to the laws and regulations of the Republic of Costa Rica and is therefore subject to change.